Thursday, May 3, 2012

Recipe: Caribbean Pork Sandwich


I have recently become a fan of the Hungry Girl series on Food Network.  This past Saturday was a show all about sandwiches!  YUM!  So anyways, this morning I was prepping my pork chops for dinner and I noticed I had an extra.  Now, a lot of times, leftovers don't get eaten, and I can't stand to watch a perfectly good chop get cooked and not eaten!  I decided to eat it for lunch!  And am I sure happy I did!

The result.....my Caribbean Pork Sandwich!


Here's how I made it:

Ingredients:

1 boneless pork chop
1 tbsp. Caribbean jerk marinade
1/4 yellow (or red) onion
1/4 of a yellow (or red!) bell pepper
5 chunks of pineapple (or one ring), in juice
Two slices of bread (I used white)
1/2 tbsp. of butter
1/2 tbsp. of mayo
1/2 tbsp. of steak sauce
1 tsp. of honey
1 slice of American cheese
1 tomato

Directions:

1. Marinate your pork for about an hour.  Before you grill your pork, pound it flat.
2. In a non-stick skillet or grill, grill your flattened pork chop with your pepper, onion, and pineapple.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the mayo, steak sauce, and honey to create your sauce.
4. Flip your pork chop. 
5. Butter one side of each slice of bread.  Toast your bread in a separate skillet as it you were making grilled cheese.
6. Spread sauce onto untoasted side of bread and add cheese on top of it allowing it to melt slightly.
7. Once your meat is cooked, place veggies, pineapple, and pork onto your bread. 
8. Slice tomato, top sandwich, and viola!  You are finished!

With the ingredients I used, the Weight Watchers point value is 11 points per serving.  Please keep in mind, I used ingredients I had on hand, most of which are not fat free.  I am sure if you would like to make this a bit healthier, you can use lower fat mayo, butter, and cheese as well as use wheat bread.
Also, I used my skillet, but I'm sure this would taste even better if I grilled the onion, pepper, and pineapple!

ENJOY!

No comments: