Friday, October 25, 2013

Sweet and Sour Cherry Chicken: Crock Pot/Freezer Meal

I am a huge fan of freezer meals.  I'm also a huge fan of crock pot meals.  It doesn't get any better than coming p with a new crock pot freezer meal idea for me!  Yesterday, as I started to prep dinner for the crock pot, I saw I had leftover cherry pie filling from the night before (made some cherry turnovers).  So I grabbed the pie filling and tossed it in a bowl.  Then I thought, instead of using orange or pineapple as my fruity accompaniment to my sweet and sour chicken, why not cherry?  So I grabbed all of the usual ingredients, but when I went to grab the peanut butter.......I saw my chocolate cherry peanut butter......why not just toss that in too?  I'm going to admit, I was very nervous to try this meal!  But in the end, it was delicious, and my family ate every single bit of it (no leftovers for lunch).  We enjoyed this meal with some rice and sauteed veggies.  I hope you enjoy this meal as much as we did!

Ingredients:
2 tbsp. Planters NUT-rition cherry chocolate peanut butter
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. rice vinegar
2-3 sliced bell peppers (I used red, yellow, and orange)
1/2 cup of cherry preserves or pie filing (I used leftover cherry pie filling, 1/2 can)
2 sliced onions
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 cup of water
4-8 skinless chicken thighs (or any cut of chicken you enjoy)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Mix everything except the peppers, onions, and chicken.  Slice your peppers and onions.  Place your chicken in your slow cooker, top with onions and peppers.  Then pour your cherry sauce mixture over the top.  Cook on low for 4-6 hours.  Then enjoy!

For a freezer meal:
Pour all of your ingredients except the onions, peppers, and chicken into a freezer bag (omit the 1/4 cup of water).  Squeeze your bag to mix well.  Place your peppers, onions, and chicken into the bag once mixed.  Press the air out and seal.  Give your bag another give mix, then freeze flat.  To cook later on, thaw for about 30 minutes to an hour, pour into your slow cooker, and cook on low for 6 hours. 

No comments: