Monday, October 21, 2013

Freezer Meals: Chicken

This week my local grocery store has chicken leg quarters on sale for $.59 per pound.  I usually buy the big 10 pound bags, and freeze them.  I realized that thawing the bags whole was a disaster!  So I started to separate them into individual meal portions.  I'm a fan of freezer cooking, so I decided to start making meals as I portioned them (duh, why didn't I think of that before?).  Unless you want a whole leg quarter (the thigh and leg combined), then you're going to have to separate the thigh from the leg.  Once you butcher your chicken, you will have thighs for certain meals, and legs for other meals.  This is what was on sale, so that is what I am using.

Here are the freezer meals I am going to make with my chicken:

Honey Chicken
Hawaiian Chicken
Cafe Rio Chicken
French Chicken
Maple Dijon Chicken
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Pecan Stuffed Chicken (instead of using breasts for this recipe, I pounded out thighs and rolled them, securing them with toothpicks.  Try not to poke your freezer bags with them.)

After I butcher my chicken and cut up my veggies, I had lots of chicken bones and veggie scraps.  I made up 8 cups of chicken stock to freeze also.


Shopping List: 
Chicken – 4  10-pound bags
Garlic
Red bell peppers
Onions (keep scraps)
2 cans of cranberry sauce
1 bottle French dressing
1 bottle Catalina dressing
3 boxes onion soup mix
Lemon (for lemon juice)
Celery (keep scraps)
1 pack of dry ranch dressing


Things I already have on hand (but you might need to get):
Honey
Ginger
Soy Sauce
Ketchup
Pineapple juice (from canned pineapple rings)
1 can of pineapple rings
Cornstarch
Butter
Salt & Pepper
Parsley flakes
Pecans (I had some in the freezer from when I made granola)
Italian dressing
Red wine vinegar
Maple syrup
Dijon mustard
Cumin
Chili powder
Chicken broth (made homemade)

For later (when you prepare your meals):
Whole wheat buns or lettuce to make wraps
Provolone cheese

Bread (for toast)

No comments: