- Have a garage sale! Most of us have so much clutter it's not even funny! If you haven't used an item in over a year, unless it a cherished family heirloom, you probably don't need it!
- Necessities must come first! Put your wants on hold! When paying bills, home, transportation, insurance, and utilities are first! Contact your cable, internet, cell, and credit card companies to see if there is any discount you can take advantage of! Sometimes if you are in good standing they will let you skip a month or two (or in our case 3!).
- Reduce, reuse, recycle! So basic, yet so important! Find ways to reuse items in your house that you may think are trash!
- Cook in bulk! Instead of buying prepackaged foods liked mashed potatoes, buy a big bag of potatoes, cook them, mash them, and freeze them into small containers. Not only are you saving money, but you are giving your family food that is better for them! When you reheat, feel free to flavor them any way you'd like!
- Skip the meat! By omitting meat from your dinner plans 2-3 days per week, you will be saving a nice chunk of change. Plus, read meats are meant to bulk you up, so you will also be watching your waist line without even trying!
- Every 3 months, review your cell phone contract, cable contract, and auto insurance. You should always be shopping around for a better rate. Also, if you mention to your current company that you found a better rate, sometimes they'll compete to keep you and lower your rate!
- Trim your dryer hose. A longer hose can become obstructed causing your dryer to work harder. A shorter, unobstructed hose will save you $25 per year on your electric bill!
- Laundry detergent is super powerful! Use half the recommended amount unless you have some serious stains!
- Check out your cart once more before you check out. Maybe that box of cookies or case of soda was an impulse purchase? Cut out $10 per week of impulse purchases and put that money into savings! Save money and your figure!
- Shop at the end of season! No need to explain why!
- Shop clearance racks! Most of the time you'll find shirts that were part of an outfit but have lost their bottoms. Take advantage of some serious savings! (My favorite clearance racks are at Target and Babies R' Us)
Thursday, September 15, 2011
Keeping Your Wallet Full
For us not so lucky people that have to work everyday, be frugal, and save money some how, there comes a time when you must pull all of your resources together just to get by. For most of us, as we come closer to the end of the year, that is the time we struggle. Here are some of my favorite tips that I have heard, read, or found online: