Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Art of Couponing

I have used coupons in the past.  For me, nothing special.  The savings weren't big enough to keep me interested.  Last week however, I watched TLC's Extreme Couponing for the first time!  Seeing the savings they had inspired me!  So last week I started clipping coupons.  I learned that in order for me to get the biggest savings, I have to match my coupon with sales as well as any store coupons.  I went through and printed up the coupon policy for all of my local stores.  That way I know what I can and can't do!  Week one proved to be a big week for me!  I got free product already and stocked up on bathroom cleaner for at least two years!  People are gonna start looking at me like I'm crazy.  But it's ok, cause I'm spending less and getting more!

My first time out and I think I did very well!  I left home with a $10 bill and some change in my pocket, and this is what I got:


ALL Detergent: Was $5, I got it for $3
Cover Girl Blush: Was $3.74 each, I got all 4 for FREE!
Fatastick Cleanser: Was $1.50 each, I got them for $.50 each
Ajax: Was $2, I got it for $1
Nivea Lip Treatment: Was $2.99 each, I got them for $.25 each
Suave Professionals Hair Care: Was $2 each, I got them for $.87 each
Playtex Sport: Was $3.97, I got it for $2.13
Old Spice Deodorant: Was $3, I got it for $1

Total before coupons: $41.41
Total after in store savings and coupons: $10.87

I saved $30.54 my first time!

Here is a site that I have found most helpful: http://www.hip2save.com/

2 comments:

Angelia said...

I am so dying to get into couponing! I'm not the most organized person in the world so I feel like it would be a huge undertaking for me. Just today I picked up a couple of store flyers and a sunday paper so I can look for matchups and start figuring it all out!

I'm dying to have a stock pile worth drooling over!

Unknown said...

Start small. Pick one store to work with at a time so you can know their coupon policy in full. The trick is knowing when to buy an item, and when topass. Since my stores don't double, I can't walk out of a store paying nothing for $1,000 worth of items. When you get your coupons, be patient. Things like toothpaste, laundry detergent, dish soap, condiments, and cleaning supplies I like to sit on and wait until I can get them for under a dollar. Hope this helps!